Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Lakewood 4


A little bit of closure, on something that will never fully heal, came yesterday as the memorial service for the four fallen Lakewood police officers was held in Tacoma, at the Tacoma Dome.

(If you live a sheltered life and are not aware of the event prompting this service and this blog post, reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakewood_police_officer_shooting.)

I really wanted to attend, but my work schedule interfered and I could not arrange coverage. I was very unhappy about that.

Had I been able to attend, Engine 17 would have gone along to participate in the group of fire apparatus in the procession.

You see, Engine 17 is familiar with that area. If you've read the blog all along, you know that 17 was later reassigned to Engine 9 and finally to Engine 10 before leaving Tacoma. Station 10 is Tacoma's southernmost station, just north of Parkland and northeast of Lakewood. 17 spent nine years in south Tacoma as Engine 10, occasionally running into Parkland and Lakewood on mutual aid. In fact, Tacoma Station 10 is less than four miles from the site of the shooting. If not assigned on the first alarm there out of 10's, 17 was close enough to be on the 2nd.

This was 17's last neighborhood in Tacoma, and a casual afternoon bike ride away from where I grew up.

While sorry I missed the memorial, I am praying that there isn't a next time to make up for not being there.

Brothers in blue, thanks for what you do.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post bro. I wish we could have gone together but I had to work too, and without a fire engine, I would never have gotten in anyway. I did watch much of it on the net thanks to the crusty jakes. It was a touching ceremony. The show of support from the law enforcement and EMS/Fire Service communities at large was incredible. (That doesn't begin to describe what I am feeling about it).

    Thanks for the tribute and the pics. I especially like the last one.

    ReplyDelete