Wednesday, April 21, 2010

More work to come

I checked the electric hose reel rewind. It works. Hurrah!

I crawled on the ground under the cab to look closer at the hardware behind the leaking air from the brake pedal, which looks fairly straightforward. However, while under there, I took note of two unrelated wires simply clipped off and wrapped around other parts to keep them out of the way. No idea what they were for, where they go, but I suspect they are related to how many things in the cab don't work.

So, that curiosity got me to poke my head under the dash for the first time.

Mother of Hector, I wish I hadn't seen that! Oh man...... it is a jumbled mess. Looks like five or six amateurs, each with different ideas about how things are done, ran wiring to little projects here and there over the years, since 17's Tacoma days (I can't imagine the Tacoma Fire Garage techs allowing this!). Some stuff is hanging or wrapped around other stuff, some wires are clipped short, some terminals simply pulled out. Wires change colors between the butt splices, and are jammed through openings not intended for wiring. Relays and other widgets are affixed under the dash but with no wires attached at all. Wow.

New task: Rewire just about everything under the dash.

What a MESS.

Thanks for coming along on the ride, but hand me those wire strippers, will ya?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds familiar. The wiring under my dash is like spaghetti. Various things were added over the years--additional emergency lights, an electronic siren, etc. There's quite a jumble of wire under there that I haven't tackled yet. Your choices are: 1) leave it, 2) trace it out one by one and fix things that's aren't right, or 3) tear it all out and start from scratch. I've gone with #2 since I want to continue using and enjoying the truck while I work on it.

    Randy

    ReplyDelete